ABBYY Lingvo is shipped with a large number of system dictionaries, which can be installed during the installation of the program or later. Additionally, users can create their own user dictionaries.
System dictionaries are those that are shipped together with the program and cannot be changed or edited.
- Install system dictionaries.
- Uninstall system dictionaries.
- Restore uninstalled system dictionaries.
The following two types of user dictionary can be created:
- Editable user dictionaries. These are simpler dictionaries that you can create and edit while working with ABBYY Lingvo.
- DSL dictionaries. These are more sophisticated dictionaries which look and function exactly like the system dictionaries. They are compiled by means of the DSL Compiler and cannot be edited as easily as editable user dictionaries.
Usually you will need not all the dictionaries available in Lingvo, but a certain group of dictionaries. The dictionaries of the selected group are displayed on the Bookshelf. ABBYY Lingvo offers great flexibility in working with dictionary groups.