Close a position in an investment
To keep your
financial records accurate, close your position in an investment
before you delete the investment from the Portfolio Manager.
Closing a position means setting your holdings equal to zero.
To close a position when you know
the price and other details of its sale:
- Go to the Portfolio Manager.
- If you see a plus sign (+) to the left of an
investment account, click it to see the investments.
- Click the investment that you want to close.
- In the left pane under Common tasks, click
Work with investments, and then click
Record a sell.
- Enter information about the sale, and then click
If you don't know the price or other details of the sale, you
can close a position by simply removing the shares, as follows:
- Click the investment you want to close, and then click
- In the Add Transaction dialog box, in the
Activity list, select Remove
- In the Quantity box, enter the number of
shares to remove, and then click OK.