When you install ABBYY PDF Transformer 2.0, the setup program integrates it with Windows Explorer and with Microsoft Office. As a result, ABBYY PDF Transformer buttons appear in Microsoft Word.
- Run Microsoft Word.
- Click the Transform PDF button on the toolbar. In the dialog box that opens, select the file you wish to convert and click Open PDF File.
Note: If the PDF file is password-protected, the program will ask you for the password. If you type an invalid password three times, the password dialog box will be closed and the PDF file will not be opened.
- In the drop-down list, select one of the following:
- Transform into Microsoft Word Document - The conversion results will be opened in a new Word document,
- Transform into Current Microsoft Word Document - The conversion results will be added into the current Word document after the mouse cursor.
- Check the PDF conversion options:
- File name (when converting into a new Word document)
By default, the document will be saved in the source folder and will have the name of the source document. To select a different folder or change the name of the file, click Change…
- Page range
The options under Pages to transform allow you to convert an entire PDF file or only selected pages:
- All - Converts the entire PDF document,
- Selected - Converts selected pages. You may provide page numbers separated by commas and/or page ranges, e.g. 1,2, 4-12.
- Layout retention
Choose whether you wish to keep the original formatting and/or pictures:
- Original layout
This mode creates an output document which looks exactly like the original.
- Text flow
This mode retains the text of the original, but some of its formatting will be lost. The output document will retain paragraphs and fonts, but will not retain columns, exact locations of objects, or spacing.
- Keep pictures
This mode retains the pictures of the original document. If the source PDF file contains a large number of pictures, the size of the output file may be very large. Clear the Keep pictures option to reduce file size.
- Document languages
The list must contain only the languages actually used in the PDF document. When you first run ABBYY PDF Transformer, this list contains two languages - English and the interface language.
To change the document languages, click Change…
Note: We do not recommend using more than three languages at a time. Using more than three languages may result in more errors in the text of the output file.
- Click Transform to start conversion.
- Clicking the Transform button will open the conversion dialog box displaying a progress bar, tips, and warning messages issued during conversion. To open a page for which a warning message has been issued, simply click the page number.
- If the look of the output document differs very much from the original, try altering the conversion options and/or selecting text, table, and picture areas manually. For more information, see Improving Conversion Results.
Improving Conversion Results
PDF Conversion Dialog Box