ABBYY Lingvo allows you to carry out full-text searches to find occurrences of a particular word or phrase in any part of dictionary entries, not necessarily headwords.
ABBYY Lingvo will look for a search term in the translations, examples, and comments sections of all dictionary entries (searches will be carried out in the enabled dictionaries of the current language pair, in both translation directions).
In the ABBYY Lingvo main window:
- In the search field, type the word or phrase you wish to find.2. Do one of the following:
Note: You can type words in any grammatical form.
- Select the Find command on the Translate menu
- Click on the command bar
- Press CTRL+F on the keyboard
3. In the Search Results dialog box that opens, select the entry which offers the most suitable translation for your word or phrase.
- If you disable all the dictionaries of the current translation direction, the search will be carried out in the enabled dictionaries of the reverse translation direction.
- If the word you are trying to translate by clicking or by pressing Enter is not in the word list and the option Automatically search for words not found in the word list is selected in Tools>Options…>Search, auto search is initialized. Auto search will automatically try to find the word in the following card zones: headwords, translations, and examples. The full-text search options do not affect auto search. The following factory settings are used for auto searches:
- "Find cards containing all of the words"
- "Find all word forms"
- "Match order"
- "Maximum distance between words is 0"
- The "Comments" zone is ignored to produce more relevant search results
You can also carry out full-text searches for the headword of a dictionary entry: in the card window, click the Find link on the navigation panel.
To make your full-text searches more efficient, you may wish to adjust the search options on the Search tab of the Options dialog box(Tools>Options…).
- Type the word or phrase you wish to translate in the search field.
- Do one of the following:
- Select Find in All Languages on the Tools menu, or
- Press Ctrl + Shift + F.